GEM Magazine LI is the sparkling new lifestyle magazine for the Long Island woman. Helping real women get the real answers they need – now – Gem is a monthly publication poised to become the trusted resource for women across the Island. From Montauk to Manhattan, women are turning to Gem!
GEM Magazine LI addresses the needs, concerns and issues facing the “real” Long Island woman. Meeting the demands of a fast paced and ever changing modern society, today’s Long Island women are faced with wearing many hats and are challenged by a tough balancing act. Women are an integral part of the successful management of many organizations whether they are private homes, schools, communities, businesses or even governments. Women are often times key decision makers and managers.
GEM takes into account that today’s Long Island woman can be an entrepreneur, home-maker, single mom, CEO, student, wife, sister or all of the above. GEM tackles today’s issues with fresh, engaging, informational, bold content written by the top experts in their fields.
Each issue includes: Today’s Long Island Woman; Jobs & Money; Health & Wellness; Beauty & Fitness; Fashion & Style; Food & Nutrition; Thrifty Shopper; Arts & Entertainment; Love & Relationships; Home & Pets; Travel & Technology; Girl's Night Out; Wine & Dine features plus MORE!
Click Cover To View Our Digital Edition
"Nurturing The Jewel In Every Woman!"
© 2012 Gem Magazine LI.. All rights reserved.
Receive the Digital Edition of
GEM Magazine LI in your Inbox!
GEM Magazine LI TV - Merchant Spotlight
Back To School: A+ Health & Nutrition
The new school year is the perfect time to make nutritional changes that help your kids start each day better nourished, better energized and better focused. Food plays a major role in mood disorders. Stress, trauma and diet contribute to anxiety and depression. Diet is the easiest factor to adjust, but most people have no idea that food and mood are so directly linked. Nutrition is the first step in controlling negative moods.
Foods that stabilize mood and help build a better brain:
• Whole Grains: Oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc. Healthy carbohydrates can increase serotonin levels in the brain, improving mood.
• Lean Protein: Turkey and chicken are good sources of amino acids, which helps with depression, anxiety and coping with stress.
• Pasture Raised Eggs: Maybe the perfect breakfast. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids (which affect neurotransmitter pathways to the brain), zinc, B vitamins and iodide.
• Fruits & Vegetables: High in magnesium which helps to boost energy levels and maintain mental clarity. Rich in nutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals that promote brain function.
• Greek Yogurt: Rich in calcium that alerts your brain to release mood boosting neurotransmitters.
• Seafood: Selenium-rich foods help with energy and stamina by balancing the adrenal gland.
• Nuts and Seeds: Magnesium and selenium are two minerals that aid in brain function and energy. Nuts and seeds contain both.
• Water: Dehydration is a common, but overlooked cause of fatigue.
• Dark Chocolate: Instant mood booster that helps with concentration and improves the blood flow to the brain.
Foods that trigger negative moods:
• Sugar: Robs the body of essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes. It increases hyperactivity by preventing blood sugar levels from remaining stable. Eliminating or reducing refined sugar in the diet can increase mental energy and memory.
• Additives: Artificial colors and flavors can increase distraction and decrease mental clarity. Eliminating artificial colors and flavors from the diet has shown to decrease symptoms in children with ADD. Eat fresh, whole foods and avoid processed foods.
• Hydrogenated Oils: Found in processed foods, these trans-fats inhibit healthy nerve function. Eliminating hydrogenated oils can lead to improved brain function, memory and mental clarity.
• Too Much Caffeine: Excessive caffeine can exacerbate depression in some people. It can lead to insomnia which can have a negative effect on mood and energy.
We have a network of professionals waiting to answer your questions. From health & wellness, beauty, fitness & fashion, business & finance to home design, pets, relationships, dating, dining inspiration & more! We want to hear from you!
Corporate & Private Health Coaching
ALL THAT WELLNESS, INC.